Like Kyle's Cog on Facebook

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Introduction

Howdy.  I'm Kyle and I'm a bicycle addict.  Oops, I meant "enthusiast".  Addicts go to meetings.

I'm not sure when I really became a cyclist.  It could have been when my Grandpa Ed took me to Lefluer's Bluff State Park in Jackson, MS and I zoomed down the wide paved path with no training wheels.  It could have been when my brother Craig and I would explore our neighborhood looking for hills to ride down and mud puddles to splash through.  It could have been when my parents bought me a Schwinn Frontier that had 21 speeds and a front shock with a trick matching helmet for Christmas.  Maybe it was when I made my first bike upgrade to that very bike at The Bike Shop in Ridgeland with a sweet set of toe cages.  As a 12-year-old I went on a ride with some really cool older kids at some trails they called Lil Colorado off of Lakeland Drive.  My toe cages caused me to eat it hard in the parking lot, but I rode all afternoon anyway.

Perhaps my real problem, obsession, or hobby started in the fall of 2009 after I left the Navy.  I bought a Cannondale f7 at Chain Reaction in Augusta, GA and really started hitting the trails.  Another argument could be made that it was my wife's fault.  She set me up with her supervisor at the time, Todd, in the Spring of the following year.  For the next 6 months or so, more days than not, we would ride.  We talked gear, trails, races, clothes, tires, frames, brakes, suspension, shifters, and snacks.  And we rode our bikes.  The riding scene is really cool down there and I have many great memories from that summer.

So I may not be sure when biking started for me or where it's going to take me, but for now I'd like to write about it.  I'm going to post about the bikes I own, the bikes I want, the stuff I like, and the stuff I break.  I'm going to show off the places I go, things I do, and the people I meet.  I ride, build trails and work on bikes and I plan on talking about all of it.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter.  This is a project for a class I am taking so it will be up at least until the end of my semester, but I would love to keep it going strong for a long time

Thanks for reading.  Enjoy the ride.
Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment